Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Prospectus Continued.... Why am I Interested?

I'm not sure if we were supposed to post our reasons for interest in our topic or not. My work has me producing field maps for the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). I work with GIS staff who take US census data and overlay it with US maps to show populations within certain areas of the country. Eventually field staff use the maps to find houses and perform interviews. This work recently had me attending a GIS workshop where I learned to use an application called ArcGIS along with census data to create my own informative maps. It was very interesting and got me thinking about all of the possible applications where this could be useful. There's a current study on my topic which my company is involved in. So, with my interest and access to professionals in the field I thought it would be a good project.

No comments: