Tuesday, November 27, 2007

New (old) Topic and New Direction

I think I've finally arrived at a direction for my project. I'm planning on exploring the application of GIS in emergency planning. I'll research various situations in the past in which GIS has proven useful and explore some ways that it may be applied in the future. In order to narrow it down some for the actual paper, I will probably pick one area like evacuation planning or something like that and go in depth about how GIS would be applied.

Here are some questions I will be exploring:
What is GIS?
How are maps created using GIS?
Where does the data come from?
What are some common applications of GIS?
How has GIS been used for emergency planning in the past (maybe a focus on natural disasters)?
Is GIS effective in planning/responding to emergencies like natural disasters?
What does the future of GIs look like in respect to emergency planning and response?

2 comments:

mkrobert said...

I think this is a really interesting research topic and you have developed several good questions. Glad you went back to the original. I'm excited to see what you come up with for your poster.

By the way, your son is a very cute!

Leo C said...

looks good, for the poster you might want to pick a real case to showcase how this technology is being used (id imagine the california forest fires make use of something like this). For the paper, just lay everything out and look at the poster responses and i'm sure you'll get it done.